Wednesday, January 18, 2012

HSTM revealed...

Following up on my previous post, I wrote that I would take pictures of a quilt that I started on about 4 years ago.  I saw it in a magazine and absolutely fell in love...knew I had to re-create it, however challenging it might become and sealed the deal on what would become my love affair with everything half-square triangles (hst's).  This quilt has a little bit of everything that I enjoy working with: taupes, batiks,  black, and of course lots of hst's.  It is a variation on the ocean waves quilt pattern and I finally counted the hst's.  There are 120 (480) in each border and approximately 1200 in the quilt top.  It will finish at about 80 x 80. They are all 2.5 inches.  I used the Tada fusible triangle product to make them and it was a breeze somewhat...I can't believe I am admitting to this, but I stopped working on this quilt because I became overwhelmed by so many of the hst's.  And then I miscalculated the border triangles and they did not fit and I had to take them apart. Sheesh... It just made me crazy.  One of my coworkers named it half-square triangle madness (HSTM). Mariah is not a quilter, but she didn't realize how right she was. The name stuck and I folded it, not so neatly, along with unsewn borders, bias edges and all and stuffed it in a tote bag.  From time to time, my friends would ask about it and I would claim ignorance on its whereabouts.  But I knew...it was thrown up in the back of the closet in the tote bag. :0)   Up until this weekend, I didn't even have a picture of it.  So feeling guilty about the number of WIPs, I moved it to the top of my to do list,  I pulled it out of the bag, my girlfriend Wendy (thanks again Wendy) pressed it a little for me and I am back to work on it.  I have one more border to construct and put on and then I will have it quilted and decide on a home for it.  I may keep it for myself, but I haven't reached that decision yet.  So, here it is ... revealed at last.   I will post a pic of the completed top very soon.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is stunning, you must be so excited at the thought of finishing it soon. I absolutely love it. Well done.

Cheryl Willis said...

beautiful! well worth the chance to get finished.

Carla said...

I think I remember seeing this quilt in a magazine years ago? Loved it then, love it now. Good job.

Barb H said...

What a fabulous quilt! I'm glad you decided to show it and to finish it. Beautiful!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like it, I like it! That black and white sashing looks perfect with the colors in the blocks. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt!

The Slow Quilter said...

Nice work, cann't wait to see it fininshed a quilted. Like you I digging deep in my unfinish UFOs, or as I call the UFQs. I saw your comment on Under The Presser Foot and thought I would come a vist you, and I am glad I did. I also see that my good frind Linda from Eat, Sleep, Quilt is also your follower. So if you have time stop on pass my blog http://theslowquilter.blogspot.com.

yetunde said...

When you finish you can give it to me.

Kyra said...

Lovely pattern! The borders just bring this alive.

Best, Kyra