Monday, July 27, 2015

Trying to Play Catchup

Life has a way of throwing obstacles in your path, creating all types of setbacks as has been the case with my temporary absence in posting on this blog.   I  lost my Mom in April after a long and painful illness.  Her life transition has been a difficult one filled with much sadness and hurt.  But, I am slowly working my way back to some aspect of normalcy.

I had completely stopped sewing.  I just couldn't find the energy or brain power to work on anything much, but I have started to recover some and I am doing better each day.  I have a huge collection of Aboriginal and tribal-inspired fabrics mostly with large prints.  Like a lot of quilters, I can't stand to cut into my large prints because they get so chopped up that you can't see the intricate detail.  I have recently taken an interest in finding patterns that lend themselves to large prints.

In the first picture, I used Aboriginal prints.  It was hard to cut into them.  They are so beautiful and expressive.  Each Aboriginal print or drawing tells a story and this particular pattern allows you to see the design work.  It is based on the Intersection Quilt pattern from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.




My oldest grandgirl is turning 13 in a couple of weeks.  I wanted her to have a new quilt with lots of bright colors in celebration of her bright future.  I think the last one that I made for her was with the "Very Hungry Caterpillar" themed fabric.  Babies grow up so fast!  So I made the intersection quilt again with a couple of changes.  Actually, I think I sewed the rows together backwards...so much for creativity.  I really like this one, especially with the shades of lime green.  I am going to add a couple of coordinating borders to make it a bit larger.  I love this fabric and I think Smooch will too.



I also had a lot of black and white 2-1/2" strips so I whipped up this variation of the log cabin quilt. It turned out very nice.  It wasn't made for any particular person.  I just saw a quilt similar to this one at a show.  Liked it.  Had a thousand black and white strips along with all shades of lime green.  So, I just cut them up and made it from memory.  It was super easy to put together.  Now I need to find a nice backing for it.



These quilts are not on my WIP list.  They just happened.  I have much more to share, and I will post again soon.  Thanks for hanging in there with me.  



3 comments:

Barb H said...

So sorry about your mother, but glad to see you back on the blog. And 3 quilts? It seems as though you've got you sewing mojo back in good shape! I like all three of them.

Regina said...

I am sadden to read about your mom's passing. Sending you good thoughts and prayers from Wisconsin. R

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like both versions of the intersection quilt, I need to visit Missouri Star more often! It was good seeing you at the Quilters Unlimited show in May(?), looking forward to seeing more of your quilts!